1. The three primary options for what to evaluate in performance appraisals are traits, behaviors, and results. As a manager, which option would you choose? Why?
2. Pay and incentive programs are being used both for knowledge workers and in non-knowledge worker occupations. In every industry, from restaurants to construction and low-tech manufacturing, companies are using more comprehensive pay and incentive programs to attract and keep workers in a tight labor market.
Think about an industry you currently work in, have worked in, or would like to work in. What incentive programs do you believe would motivate you to perform at a higher level? Explain why that is a motivation for you.
3. Gartner research has reported that globally, 55% to 75% of all ERP projects either fail or do not reach the objectives. At the extreme end, the new systems did not work in any meaningful way or the cost overruns were 100% or more. The article below discusses 16 of the famous cases of ERP implementation failure:
What are some of the factors in ERP implementation failure?
4. In Chapter 9, you learned about social media information systems. Businesses are now using social media to market to users and possibly customers. Have you ever made a purchase based on an ad or information you saw on social media? Do you think these campaigns are successful? Why, or why not?
5. As the CEO of an organization, you just learned that the IT security department hired a convicted hacker that used to write malicious code as a security consultant. Would you overturn this decision? Why, or why not?